Saturday, September 10, 2011

School Book Saturdays

We have all had to read books for school. Some really great books, and some... not so great books. Every Saturday I will dedicate a post to school books.


Summary: "Laura Esquivel’s bestselling first novel, Like Water for Chocolate is a mouth-watering tale of love, passion and food. Tita, the youngest of three daughters lives in constant fear of Mama Elena. Since her husband’s untimely death, Mama Elena has ruled with an iron fist. Tita is raised with the help of the loving cook Nacha and spends most of her time growing up in the kitchen. It is there that Tita can seek some refuge from the harsh Mama Elena. As Tita gets older, the strict rules of her mother seem impossible to live by, for Tita has fallen in love. When Pedro comes to ask for her hand in marriage, Tita’s mother refuses, saying that her youngest daughter must never marry and must care for her until she dies. In a naïve act of love, Pedro agrees to marry Tita’s older sister Rosaura just so that he can be near Tita, the love of his life, forever. It is when Tita is forced by her mother to make her sister’s wedding cake that Tita’s strange magic in the kitchen comes to light. Grieving and distraught, her tears fall into the batter and every guest who eats the wedding cake the following day is overcome with sickness and misery. Tita continues to spend her time in the kitchen, as the head chef, and her emotions are transferred into whatever dish she is creating. Whether it is lust, anger or love, Tita’s deep feelings go right into her food and then into whoever eats it. Set in turn of the century Mexico, Like Water for Chocolate is an exquisite novel that will leave you intrigued and hungry."


I read this book my sophomore in high school. It was in a list of books for a lit-circle we had to do. I wasn't too excited when my group first decided on this book. I didn't seem that interesting to me, but as I started reading it I got really into it and ended up finishing it way before it needed to be finished. Its a book of strange romance with an added bonus of recipes in it. It has some definite strange parts in it, but overall I really enjoyed it. If you ever have the option to read it for school I would definitely do it. Even if you don't read it for school I would suggest reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment